Saturday 26 September 2015

Rough design for stand for old semi working Macbook

I have recently been given an old , broken partially working Macbook from the studio. Its a late 2009/mid 2010 model, with 2 USB, an ethernet, magsafe, separate audio and output ports, and a Superdrive slot.

The thing that does not work is the keyboard and touchpad. This Macbook is going to replace my old clunker PC in my flat, that is running windows XP, which I tried to install Linux on it, which works well, except it does not read the webcam, which I need for personal surveillance camera when I am out , to check on my cat and flat via my iPhone. I thought mounting the macbook on the wall (which I might do at a later stage, to make a wall computer), but this entails removing the hinges that holds the screen to the body. I don't wish to damage it even further, since I will be opening it in the future to upgrade its RAM from 2GB to 8GB, and upgrade the HDD., from there I may do that, and fold the screen to the back with the keyboard and touchpad facing the wall, like a screen panel. Since the touchpad and the keyboard don't work, and would have to use my wireless keyboard with its built in touchpad.

At the moment until then, by just seating the macbook on the desk painting easel, I came up for an idea to build a stand/platform out ceramics at the studio, which the macbook can fit in, and the platform can house devices such as a wall socket powered USB hub, portable USB Hard drives, dongles, TV/Shortwave/FM/AM and ham radio dongles, and VGA/HDMI display adapters.  I am also thinking of adding two ceramic cylinders on the side to hold stationary such as pens/pencils and paint brushes.

Its going to run on Snow Leopard, because of the RAM, and I like the design, and it also has Front Row media centre, which was removed from OSX, when Apple introduced Apple TV.




No comments:

Post a Comment